Puerto Princesa Philippines
Puerto Princesa City Palawan Philippines
Puerto Princesa City History
Among the islands in the Philippines Palawan has been blessed with both natural beauty and abundant natural resources. It boasts a dazzling ecosystem of world renowed biodiversity, bursting with the lush of flora and fauna that have made it economic powerhouse as well as premier eco tourism destination. IT is a sanctuary for art, culture and history with an identity that has remained distinct throughout the years of occupation & colonization.
One of the books written described Palawan as Land of blessing. As evident in the natural gifts that had made it a truly beautiful place and in the sharing of the community that has given people strength and hope.
As late as 2 million to 10,000 years ago Palawan was believed to be connected by land bridges to borneo, the island to the south was shared by Malaysia and Indonesia and regions far away as india and southchina. Geogologist in fact assert Palawan was a hefty chunk that broke off an entirely different geological plate from the rest of the Philippines. A specific expalanation for the fact that the province topography and resident species of flora and fauna cannot be found anywhere else in the Philippines but can be seen in asian continents.. Proof of early inhabitants who walked away to Palawan over the land bridges who later sailed across the unchartered waters and made their homes in caves after land bridges disappeared was found in -Tabon Cave, Lipuin point, Quezon. On Palawan Islands western coast. This archeological treasure may have been the earliest human dwellings in Southeast asia.. :Burial jars - 4000 yrs old and items, flake tools used by man some 50,000 years ago to signs such as porcelain as stoneware from china as early as 12th century.
The local tribes were the Pa'la'wan who lived in the mountain. The Tagbanua who made their homes in the Riverbanks and the Batak who foraged and built their dwellings in the forest.
The early palawenos are the people who planted, traded and gatheres natures bounty. The local tribes were the palaw'an who lived in the mountains;
It was also believed that the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan on an expedition for an exploration for Spanish crown have dropped by the calamianes island on palawans northernmost tip to the far east on 1506. In spreading Christianity by Spanish colonizers by 1636 .
In 1898 the American colonizers took over and John elmick changed the name from Spanish paragua to Palawan and moved the capital to Puerto Princesa as it is known today. PUERTO PRINCESA CITY
Puerto Princesa City -the capital of Palawan, central Palawan southwestern Philippines.
The name "Puerto Princesa" to a princess-like maiden who in the early days is said to have roamed around the place on certain nights of the year. On the other hand, practical people attribute the name to the geographical advantages of the place as a seaport, naturally protected the whole year round and endowed with a depth that can accommodate any size of shipping, a royal heaven for vessels or a virtual princess of ports as thus indicated by Spanish Colonizers on the country's map.
Historically, the place was named after Princess Eulalia of Spain, born in 1864 to Queen Isabel II and her consort, Dr. Francisco de Asis. When the princess suffered an untimely death, the Queen changed the name to Puerto de la Princesa. Eventually, the name was reduced to Puerto Princesa as it is known today. Spanish Colonizers founded the settlement on March 4, 1872 in the course of their exploration of the province. As they scanned the Palawan shoreline for a capital site, they came upon a hill with steep declivity. Rowing to shore, they surveyed the hill and discovered an extensive plateau which they decided as ideal for settlement. Soon after, Fr. Antonio Muro levelled a portion of the hill to make way for a chapel. (That section is now occupied by the Catholic Cathedral, the P.C. Barracks and the Rizal Park. The Old Municipal Building used to be there, as well as an Elementary School). The first mass celebrated in Puerto Princesa took place at a site where a marker now stands..
In 1894 Puerto Princesa was recognized by government authorities as one of the most beautiful towns in the country because of orderly distribution of streets, buildings, houses as well as cleanliness. Since its foundation Puerto Princesa City has become the nerve center of activities in Palawan. Aside from being the seat of public administration, it is the heart of trade, commerce, service, administration, it is the heart and trade of commerce service and industry. In 1911, the New American Administration made Puerto Princesa the seat of the Palawan Provincial Government with Major John Brown as Lieutenant Governor.
The town was converted into a city on January 1, 1970 under R.A. 5906 as amended by P.D. 437, through the effort of then Congressman Ramon V. Mitra, Puerto Princesa became City And Feliberto R. Oliveros, Jr. became the first City Mayor. Isabelo M. Mirano as the first Vice Mayor Since its foundation, Puerto Princesa has been the nerve center of activities in Palawan. Aside from being the seat of public administration, it is the heart of trade, commerce, service, and industry in the province.
Under the leadership of Mayor Edward S, Hagedorn the city has gained distinction being a model city in cleanliness, environmental protection and conservation, On this day with the leadership of Mayor Lucilo Bayron Puerto Princesa remains to be the beautiful clean and green city in the Philippines.
Now Puerto Princesa City is one of the best tourism destination in the Philippines. It is also proclaimed 'Latest International Gateway to Southeast Asia and home of the World's well known Underground River.
PUERTO PRINCESA CITY SUBTERREANEAN RIVER NATIONAL PARK
Inscribed by the UNESCO on December 4, 1999
'The worlds longest Navigable Underground River and now one of the '7 wonders of Nature' in the world.